The purpose of CHOICES Education Group (CEG) is to empower teens to make positive educational CHOICES that will increase their career and life opportunities. CEG is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity. Our Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 91-1296962. The Board of Directors is the governing body of CEG. The Board consists of up to 15 Directors, who are key business, education and community leaders representing local, state and national organizations with a variety of public and private sector backgrounds. Directors and Officers liability insurance coverage is provided by CEG. Directors are not compensated.
Board of Directors meetings are held quarterly (currently in February, May, August & November, with a December budget meeting) from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month, either virtually or at a location mutually determined by the Directors. Directors serve renewable staggered three-year terms. There is currently one regular committee of the Board, the Executive Committee, which consists of the Officers of the corporation and meets as needed between full Board meetings to conduct any required business and prepare any necessary motions for the full Board’s consideration. Ad hoc committees are formed as needed for specific projects and activities in support of Board and organizational activities. The Executive Director of CEG is a full voting Director, and also provides support services to the Board and its committees. The board schedules planning retreats approximately once a year.
The Board of Directors is charged with making high-level oversight and policy decisions. Such decisions are made according to Robert’s Rules of Order, however our goal and prevalent experience is to achieve consensus on major issues under consideration. Votes by Directors require a quorum (simple majority). Non-staff Directors are not typically involved in day-to-day operations, although we encourage all Directors to volunteer their time and expertise outside of Board meetings to assist the organization as desired, needed and appropriate.
Profile of Directors
- High level of commitment to education and desire to be a force for positive change in the lives of students
- Social entrepreneurs willing to take calculated risks to help children build a better future
- Expertise in specific areas vital to the purpose, mission and operations of CEG
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, service orientation, integrity and creativity
Expectations of Directors
- Actively participate in all scheduled Board meetings and retreats, and serve on Board committees as needed
- Develop strategic goals that support the purpose, vision, mission and guiding principles of CEG
- Safeguard the financial integrity and viability of CEG
- Offer guidance and direction, and volunteer their time as appropriate, including from their areas of expertise
- Provide contacts and represent CEG to key people, organizations and resources that will advance the cause of CEG
- Participate in fundraising activities, including a personal financial gift (request $1,000 minimum per year)
- Assist in the identification and recruitment of new Directors and serve as mentors for incoming Directors as appropriate
- Be the ultimate ambassadors, advocates and cheerleaders for CEG, its purpose and mission, and its staff
- Vice President
To learn more about joining the Board of Directors of CHOICES Education Group, please contact:
Leo Muller, Executive Director